Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun day at the range
While many were out shopping the wife and I were at the range.

I had read somewhere about a couple of different drills we wanted to try involving your carry gun and gear.

The first was 3 shots in 3 seconds at 5 yards all being on a paper plate. We used the down zero area of the IDPA target.

I did ok, best time was 2.35 seconds, most of my times were 2.7x. Rhonda started out slower, her times were 3.1x starting, best time 2.65 and she started to get it under 3 seconds most of the time.

We then moved back to 7 yards and went to 5 shots in 4 seconds (3 to the body (down zero) and 2 to the head). Rhonda's first attempt was 3.74 seconds. I struggled to break the 4 second mark, kept coming in just over 4.0x. I finally started breaking the 4 second mark, but it wasn't easy and we only counted the time if you got all down zero hits.

Then we moved back to 10 yards and did the same thing with the same results.

We finished off with some shooting at 15 yards, 25 yards, and then for fun, out to 35 yards. The goal at 35 yards was just to keep all 5 shots on the target, which we both did.

I'm very proud of Rhonda and pleased with her performance. It was a fun day.
Cool. I always like this:

Close eyes, gun at low ready. Let partner place target at any range. They tap your shoulder, you open eyes and double tap.

This is THE FIRST time you fire the gun at the range. Simulates "not warmed up / this counts / surprise target"
Had my annual qualifications yesterday so fun day at the range for me. Qualified with the Glock 21.3 (duty weapon), Glock 26.4 (off duty weapon) and Remington 870 (my primary long duty long gun).

Drills varied in distance to the target.  They included;
  • Shooting from the hip.
  • Rapid fire, sustained fire and aimed fire (to simulate attacker is almost on top of you, cover fire and distance fire).
  • Head, torso and pelvic shots.
  • Malfunction drills (FTF, FTE, stovepipe and double feed).
  • Elevated position.
  • Room clearing
  • Slicing the pie/angled movement/roll out.
It's an okay day at the range.  I would do thinks differently.  I prefer the drills where you're moving or doing something dynamic vs. static drills where you're just standing there.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I agree with your changes, they really need to get caught up with current times. They always train as if you have cover, what about the times you don't have cover... But David you must admit its still a lot of fun shooting with someone else's ammo and getting paid to do it. Also a real nice break from the norm.
It's kind of sad that the newer quals are a hundred times better than the old slow fire, stationary stuff, but still far from realistic training.
(10-11-2018, 12:30 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: It's kind of sad that the newer quals are a hundred times better than the old slow fire, stationary stuff, but still far from realistic training.

My guess, is the unions would have a fit over tougher quals. We have officers show up at IDPA matches, most only come once. Not knowing the rules to the game is one thing, but the vast majority of the officers struggle to hit anything over 7 yards. 

With that being said, we have a couple of state troopers and a a few local officers that shoot with us regularly and they are good shots. Yet, like anything, practice makes perfect.
(10-11-2018, 10:49 AM)bmyers Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 12:30 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: It's kind of sad that the newer quals are a hundred times better than the old slow fire, stationary stuff, but still far from realistic training.

My guess, is the unions would have a fit over tougher quals. We have officers show up at IDPA matches, most only come once. Not knowing the rules to the game is one thing, but the vast majority of the officers struggle to hit anything over 7 yards. 

With that being said, we have a couple of state troopers and a a few local officers that shoot with us regularly and they are good shots. Yet, like anything, practice makes perfect.

It's odd but true that most LEO aren't gun people.  And sadly, many of them only shoot during their qualification which may be only once a year.  You'd think that it would be otherwise but it's not.  I work with many folks that have a firearm but don't carry off duty, including firearms instructors!  Go figure.

I'm conducting read off in a few weeks and my topic is carrying concealed.  My goal is to increase the number of Deputies that carry off duty.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Pocket pistol range report David 9 1,255 12-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Last Post: David
  Practicing at the range with the wife bmyers 4 1,340 07-31-2017, 11:57 PM
  Range Workout! jayclimber 5 1,875 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM