Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So do you have high blood pressure?
You may not of before yesterday, but could have today. The new standard that has been released is 130/80 or greater is HP. The old was 140/90. 

If you needed another reason to work on getting fit they just provide you one more.

http://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/aha-ac...guidelines

While advancements in medicine are sometimes called “defining moments,” the release of the new American Heart Association (AHA) and American College of Cardiology’s (ACC) guidelines on hypertension- colloquially known as high blood pressure - have officially redefined the condition.

Announced at the 2017 AHA Scientific Sessions in Anaheim, California, the new guidelines define Stage 1 hypertension as a patient having systolic blood pressure (BP) between 130-139 or diastolic blood pressure between 80-89, shifting from the previous threshold of 140/90 mm Hg.
Saw that as well.  I'm usually around 124/74 give or take a point.  

I make sure that my sodium intake is low.  Enough to function normally of course but I don't add salt to anything and I look for low sodium alternatives with most things.  

I also take Kyolic Garlic capsules with each meal.  That helps as well as other supplements such as magnesium, which most people are quite deficient in.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
With my meds I am in the 120's/70's right now. To maintain my CDL the max is 140/90. I had to change my meds this past year because my diastolic was just over 90.

Cholesterol is another area they kept lowering the standard. Now they are only tracking the "bad" cholesterol.
When my weight was way up I had high BP and cholesterol but I lost the weight and have had good BP and cholesterol without meds for about 10 years. Unfortunately once you had high BP you are stuck with being labeled hypertensive forever. Every time I went to the hospital for surgery (knees, elbow etc etc) after that they kept trying to give me meds for those things. The problem with that is when you get older you are deemed a higher risk with health and life insurance carriers. That's even if you are in better shape than you were 20 or 30 years ago.
Yep, labels are hard to overcome.