Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Irma - Post Event/Lessons Learned
(09-13-2017, 03:18 PM)Sauced08 Wrote: I am in the upstate of South Carolina so we only got rain and slight wind thanks to the westward shift of the eye.

Howdy neighbor- West Greenville here. Much the same story. I have a somewhat vulnerable plate glass window and on inspection the storm shutter i made for it needed a rebuild- better and stronger now. Also did some minor yard regrading to help drainage. Estimated wind gusts here were 45MPH, hardly notable as we get similar in heavy thunderstorms every summer. Lost power for about 18 hours at about 2300 hours which took the wifi offline. Didn't see any need to fire up the generator ir portable wifi as I had lights, radios, and a book to read. Morning coffee water was heated on my little propane grill in the kitchen with the front door open for air. Went to work as usual.

Lessons learned: I'd been putting off the shutter rebuild thinking it was still usable having not closely inspected it in a year. I've wanted it only twice in the 10 years I've lived here and the window probably doesn't need it; in 30+ years it's still original after having seen numerous storms. I just like the extra protection. Materials were all on hand so no problem as I had warning but wouldn't have had the time in a thunderstorm or tornado situation. Shelter comes first so maintain it.

I'd also forgotten how hot that propane stove gets underneath so now I have a laminate table-top to repair. I was bleary-eyed without my coffee and wasn't paying enough attention to what was a pretty routine operation as I've made coffee on this stove many dozens of times when camping. Thought I was good with fire safety and ventilation covered. Nothing is routine in an anomalous situation.

Light bounce off the ceiling works wonderfully if you have a strong light. I used my 2S 18650 'thrower' on low for that and it rivaled normal room lighting. When I went to recharge the matched cells which I'd never drawn down this far before I found one cell was far lower than the other. Till now they had always been pretty close to each other. When you're going to use LiIon cells in series test them all the way down, not just partially drained.

That's about it here. Heard later that my old friend who evacuated Key Largo with family was one of the luckier ones with only very slight damage to home, cars, and boat left behind. Good preparations greatly enhanced his luck factor and he was well ahead of the game, but luck will always be an unpredictable factor in events this large and you can only do so much when dealing with Mother Nature on this scale.

Phiil
(09-17-2017, 02:35 PM)SawMaster Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:18 PM)Sauced08 Wrote: I am in the upstate of South Carolina so we only got rain and slight wind thanks to the westward shift of the eye.

Howdy neighbor- West Greenville here. Much the same story. I have a somewhat vulnerable plate glass window and on inspection the storm shutter i made for it needed a rebuild- better and stronger now. Also did some minor yard regrading to help drainage. Estimated wind gusts here were 45MPH, hardly notable as we get similar in heavy thunderstorms every summer. Lost power for about 18 hours at about 2300 hours which took the wifi offline. Didn't see any need to fire up the generator ir portable wifi as I had lights, radios, and a book to read. Morning coffee water was heated on my little propane grill in the kitchen with the front door open for air. Went to work as usual.

Lessons learned: I'd been putting off the shutter rebuild thinking it was still usable having not closely inspected it in a year. I've wanted it only twice in the 10 years I've lived here and the window probably doesn't need it; in 30+ years it's still original after having seen numerous storms. I just like the extra protection. Materials were all on hand so no problem as I had warning but wouldn't have had the time in a thunderstorm or tornado situation. Shelter comes first so maintain it.

I'd also forgotten how hot that propane stove gets underneath so now I have a laminate table-top to repair. I was bleary-eyed without my coffee and wasn't paying enough attention to what was a pretty routine operation as I've made coffee on this stove many dozens of times when camping. Thought I was good with fire safety and ventilation covered. Nothing is routine in an anomalous situation.

Light bounce off the ceiling works wonderfully if you have a strong light. I used my 2S 18650 'thrower' on low for that and it rivaled normal room lighting. When I went to recharge the matched cells which I'd never drawn down this far before I found one cell was far lower than the other. Till now they had always been pretty close to each other. When you're going to use LiIon cells in series test them all the way down, not just partially drained.

That's about it here. Heard later that my old friend who evacuated Key Largo with family was one of the luckier ones with only very slight damage to home, cars, and boat left behind. Good preparations greatly enhanced his luck factor and he was well ahead of the game, but luck will always be an unpredictable factor in events this large and you can only do so much when dealing with Mother Nature on this scale.

Phiil

I am assuming that since you had to bring in a camp stove your regular stove is electric? Which also precludes you stetting your camp stove on it?  If your home stove is natural gas or propane you can light it with a match/lighter.  I had to remind my brother (and more than one neighbor) of that during a power outage once. Most modern gas stoves have piezo electric lighters which obviously don't work during a power outage but you can light them with fire.
(09-17-2017, 02:59 PM)mac66 Wrote: I am assuming that since you had to bring in a camp stove your regular stove is electric?  If your home stove is natural gas or propane you can light it with a match/lighter.  I had to remind my brother of that during a power outage once. Most modern gas stoves have piezo electric lighters which obviously don't work during a power outage.

Yeah, I'm in a rental but I can do pretty much whatever I please here as long as it doesn't hurt the place. All electric here but no big deal with only me and the dog to take care of. I can cover a week without power and other than losing the internet it's hardly even an inconvenience to me with my camping and outdoor working background. Past a week is covered well enough too but I can't see me staying here if things get that bad- I have other better places to go for anything that big.

Phil
Just some additional thoughts...even though I wasn't there.

When my wife bugged out in her dads car I suggested taking a couple extra cans of gas. He dad had filled the tank and generally gets 350-400 miles on a tank. A 5 gallon can would have gotten them another 100+ miles or so @ 25 mpgs (her dad's car actually gets 27-30 mpg on the highway). As I mentioned however, a lot of people from southern florida had to bug out and all got about the same distance on tank of gas. Those gas stations along the freeways within tank range of southern Florida were all out of gas as well. You could go some distance off the freeway to find gas but that was sometimes 5 or 10 miles.

In that she had 4 people in the car i.e, her parents (89 & 90) and my 27 year old daughter and luggage, food and water she was reluctant to take one let alone one gas can. which was both heavy and bulky. She did end up taking one but didn't need the gas.

That did get me thinking about how to carry extra gas in a regular car that fit into the trunk and/or didn't take up too much room. An SUV or truck is different in that you typically have more room or a roof rack. to put stuff on . Obviously small gas cans would fit into small spaces so two 2.5 gallon cans would not only be easier to handle but fit into smaller spaces. Another solution might be the flat fuel cans. Both Kolpin and Rotopax make cans that could be laid in the bottom of the trunk. They tend to be flat and long so fit into narrower spaces. They are popular with off roaders, typically strapped on ATV or Jeep racks. They are easier to handle and less noticeable but are stupid expensive compared to regular gas cans.

Personally I have 6 USGI gas cans and 4 or 5 regular plastic 5 gallon cans along withe a variety of 1 and 2.5 gallon cans. I could carry all of them in my pickup truck but not so much in a regular car.
I saw cans on the roof with tie downs being used. Not only looked secure, but no space used in main compartment or fumes...
Be very aware of "supersaturated" ground, shallow rooted trees. top heavy trees, forceful wind direction, and leaning trees.  Lost my 30' Mango to supersaturated ground, top heavy crown, and shallow roots. Fell away from the house, but came within an inch of the pool cage corner. Root system even though was unseen before, actually had about 6' unexposed to the house and it's foundation. Could have been bad. The base of the tree did break thru the old irrigation system.  Real glad the pool plumbing ran in a different direction. Everything else that happened is just an inconvenience.
Big thing now in my In-laws area are sink holes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And our first Hurricane is inbound! Bob 20 808 09-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: David
  Folding knives Philosophy of Use Post SHTF. Rifleman 84 9 749 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
Video Ten prepping lessons that L.E. Has taught me video David 2 1,611 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Gene
  Big Florida Shooting Event Ronin.45 4 1,469 11-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Hurricane Irma bmyers 65 15,653 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: fishingjeff
  And we are again 60 days out from Hurricane Season... Bob 38 12,792 09-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Hurricane Harvey Bob 16 4,245 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Hurricane Matthew David 11 4,498 10-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  What Have You Learned From Prepping? JRSC 19 10,743 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  Can't post pictures ghost 4 3,171 08-14-2015, 04:24 AM
Last Post: kirgi08