Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike
That is really a nice set up!

With the bags on the front, does it balance okay for steering?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Front panniers work very well. The weight is lower so it actually feels more stable than with back panniers alone.
My set up.  I bought a police auction bike.  Thereafter:    acquired spare parts/tires/lubricants/a light/water bottle/game trailer modified to be attachable to any bicycle /paniers/repair kits.

Today is the periodic inspection of my bicycle and that of my girlfriend.  Her father was a professional bike rider and her competition bike is 40 years old now - a bit tired and valuable to a collector. 

The bicycle is a critical part of preps.  Sure, I like reading about off road vehicles/motorcycles/atvs.  The reality in my area is far different.  The nearest fire was three miles away.  The major north-south commercial supply route here was cut for days.  Schools and businesses had to be closed.  When a prolonged shtf situation next occurs, any mode of transportation needing gasoline or diesel fuel will be useless after a couple of days.
We have a bike for each one of us. We purchased repair kits. Two of the bikes we installed racks on that will allow us to haul 15 lbs on the back of the bikes.

Been thinking about trying to find a trailer to hook to them.
Options:  1.  the one that I use is a game cart with a metal frame and a piece of washable material like canvas.  I didn't want to simply attach the bike to the game cart.  I wanted the ability to shift the cart from one bike to another.  This required a collar which I obtained at a bike shop.  I then took the cart and the collar to a blacksmith (you can used a welder).  He figured out the rest and put the collar on a piece of metal which he then attached to the game cart.  Just look it up at Cabellas or eBay.  A game cart is a cart with two wheels which is designed to be pulled up and down hill over rough territory carrying a carcass.  so, a game cart will handle hundred of pounds.

2.  the "homeless" and scavengers in my area get an old bike baby cart and attach it to a bike.  Handles substantially less weight.
(12-10-2017, 11:37 PM)bdcochran Wrote: Options:  1.  the one that I use is a game cart with a metal frame and a piece of washable material like canvas.  I didn't want to simply attach the bike to the game cart.  I wanted the ability to shift the cart from one bike to another.  This required a collar which I obtained at a bike shop.  I then took the cart and the collar to a blacksmith (you can used a welder).  He figured out the rest and put the collar on a piece of metal which he then attached to the game cart.  Just look it up at Cabellas or eBay.  A game cart is a cart with two wheels which is designed to be pulled up and down hill over rough territory carrying a carcass.  so, a game cart will handle hundred of pounds.

2.  the "homeless" and scavengers in my area get an old bike baby cart and attach it to a bike.  Handles substantially less weight.

I had a kid trailer for my bike when the kids were small. I think it was rated for 30-40 lbs but you could upgrade the wheels and do better than that.  I did use it a few times for hauling stuff. 

Don't forget that a trailer adds not only drag but wind resistance as well.  You would be hard pressed to tow a 100 +lbs of stuff for very far on a consistent basis.   I've done a number of cross country bike trips and I tend to limit what I carry on my bike to 30-40lbs. That's enough stuff for for a week.
I was reading up on our bikes, I thought the racks were rated for 15lbs, but they are actually rated for 40lbs.

DESCRIPTION
This is one of the few racks that will fit the unique geometry of the Day 6.

Attaches to rear drop out and brake boss on standard Day 6 as shown (If you have a Samson or any Day 6 with disc brakes, you will need the AC-RR1 that comes with spacer
Heavy duty design will hold a trunk bag and panniers
Load capacity is 40 pounds
are you talking about these?

https://day6bikes.com/bicycles/
Yep. They are very comfortable bikes and can ride on them for hours. We have taken day trips and they are extremely comfortable.
Very nice seats but pricey, how durable are they? I have kitted out the family bikes with saddles from the USA electra sprung cruiser seats, nice wide seat right comfortable while touring or offroad. For trailers i preffer duel wheel to mono, ours have a T handle attactment so they can double up as hand wagons.

50kg max towing weight, murder getting up a grade fully loaded even in low gears, as for down hill so glad i have fitted Shimano disk brakes. Good cardio workout uphill, white knuckles and even high hear rate going down hill especially in autum with wet leaves. As with all things make sure you practice and for the love of god start with shallow small hills.