Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many magazines?
As I was looking through my stuff, I was wondering how many magazines you had for your firearms?

I have 100+ magazines for our Glocks. Rhonda is starting to think that I might have enough magazines. I told her you could never have to many magazines.
Lets see...

For my Glock 26:  Two G26 10-round mags two G17 17-round mags and two G19 10-round mags.  My plan is to get more 17-round mags.

HK P30SK:  Four 10-round and two 15-round.

Walther PPQ:  Two 15-round and one 17-round.

Sig P320c:  Six 15-round.

Sig P250:  Two 9-round.  Would like to get more of this type.

Since the G26 is my off-duty EDC I have the 10 rounder with +2 extension in it all the time.  I'll carry a G17 spare mag on my person and I'll have one of the G19 10-rounders in my EDC pack for a total of 39 rounds that are available to me.

The other guns are more or less strictly HD guns.  I keep them loaded with one mag of course and one spare available for each.  Right now I plan to make the P250 .45acp my 'woods' carry gun so I'd have it loaded with the one spare mag for now, until and unless I buy another.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I keep at least 6 magazines for each pistol. Since my Glock 17 and 2 Lone Wolf carbines use the same mags, I have 6/17rd, 6/21rd, and 6/33rd.

I don't keep mags loaded for defense other than my carry gun. I have plenty of mags for competition.

At one point I had over 80 Glock 9mm mags. I got many from people who had sold their Glocks and many wholesale from the shop I ran. In reality, you can have too many. They don't break. They don't wear out. Having so much money wrapped up in mags you won't ever need is just wasteful. I've pared down the collection and put that money into other things.
The guns used the most have 6-10
Least # for any semi is 4
I try to keep a minimum of 5 mags per gun. That's basically one in the gun, 2 reloads and 2 spares. Having said that I have some guns with less like 2-3 (hunting rifles for example) and some more like 10+(competition guns).

I have found that some mags do break or go bad. They can get damaged, lost, stolen etc so extras are handy to have.
To anyone:  do you keep them all loaded or do you rotate?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I always keep two new... other used as needed in rotation
Only keep the mag in the gun loaded mine
(exception main carry gun with an extra loaded mag , when traveling add one more loaded for total 3 ) ( I have ten for my main gun )

BTW, all mags are numbered with a paint stick ... dots up to 4, then dash for 5 , etc
I do not keep all my magazines loaded. My wife and I have 18 magazines each just for IDPA (that is three mags per stage since our local club matches are usually 6 stages). I have some of the SD magazines loaded and placed in proper storage. Yet, most magazines are unloaded.

Our competition mags are labeled with our initials and numbered so if we have an issue with a mag we will know which one and it helps keeps them from getting confused with other individuals' magazines.
I only keep one mag loaded at all times. The one in my carry gun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many magazines? Bob 14 745 05-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Last Post: David
  Ruger LC9 7 and 9 round magazines David 4 914 05-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mac66
  ETS Magazines bmyers 3 323 05-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Last Post: David