Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your EDC pocket knife?
I've given my Spyderco Endura to my son and started carrying the Cold Steel Voyager Tanto.

[Image: Voyager-Med-Tanto-Pt-50-50-1.jpg?width=1000]
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(09-16-2016, 11:39 PM)David Wrote: I've given my Spyderco Endura to my son and started carrying the Cold Steel Voyager Tanto.

[Image: Voyager-Med-Tanto-Pt-50-50-1.jpg?width=1000]
I always liked the Voyager series. I lost a plain edge years ago. It was a very sharp, durable knife for the money.
Years ago I had a dealer account with Matthews Cutlery in Georgia so I got knives at roughly 50% off retail.  I use to have a LOT of knives.  Still do, but not nearly what I use to have back in the day.  Sadly the dealer number expired and I can't reactivate since I don't have a store front or business I.D. number and such.  Good deal while it lasted though.

Yep. A JUNGLAS at 50% off would ROCK!
My attitude with the big ones used to be cry once or twice and get it over with. Then it turned to cry about 5 times a year. Glad it did. Cold Steel won't be making San Mai in Japan much longer, and those things are going up like skyrockets!

But now...I'm just trying to decide which one will be last.
"As a matter of Survival, ALL. CREATURES ARE FAIR GAME!"

Les Stroud Big Grin

Special snowflakes will be melted and consumed...I need to stay hydrated!

Big Grin
A Voyager was my on-duty knife most of the time I was on patrol. I carried a Spyderco Delica or Endura a lot in the past and then a Benchmade (512?) that was a gift from a recruit class. At SHOT 2016, I was looking around the CRKT booth and saw there was a small version of the Obake knife. I had the larger version and really liked it. Someone from CRKT came over and asked if I had any questions... I said I really didn't, but was excited to see the smaller Obake since I really liked the bigger one. I made a couple comments as to why I liked the smaller one and he said that he totally agreed... which was why he designed it. Turns out I was talking to Lucas Burnley, who is a custom knife maker and designs for CRKT.
We ended up talking for a while about knives, work, and stuff. He had high complements for several knife manufacturers, not a mean thing to say, and ended up giving me a CRKT Squid. He said he wanted me to try it because he designed it to be very compact but to feel bigger than it was while in the hand.
I never really expected to use it. I liked my Benchmade (and it has sentimental value), an Emerson/Protech we had made for our unit, and several other nice knives. I decided to give it an honest review so I carried it for a week or so... then a month, and at this past SHOT one of my main goals was to find Mr. Burnley and let him know that I carried his Squid every day since he gave it to me with the exception of the three sad days I'd lost it. It does feel bigger in the hand and it absolutely disappears in my pocket (which is how I lost it... It was in a pair of pants I don't normally wear in the laundry).
There are other knives I'd carry in the outdoors or on duty, but for what I need in an EDC knife, It's absolutely great. I hit it with an old Shrade Honesteel every once and a while and it stays plenty sharp. I did find a small chip in the blade tonight which I'll have to deal with, but it will still shave.
Spyderco Rescue is the primary. Schrade LB7 and Klein Snips w/ serrated edge round it out for me. OOP'S forgot the Trim Trio.
I've got the Voyager Tanto in the EDC bag now as a back up.  I've switched to the Spyderco Byrd Hawkbill.

[Image: SP-BY22SBK.jpg]

The only think I don't like is the metal clip.  Couple of times it's caught on stuff and I've had to bend it back into shape which requires taking it off to do right.  The plastic clip on the Endura that is part of the handle never caught on anything in the more than 20 years I carried it.  But overall I like this knife and it's shape.

Kershaw Chill. About $20. Had it for years and I love it. Sharp as hell and the blade has held up very well. I've never sharpened it
Benchmade Osborne, found it used at the pawn shop for $60. It's been a real nice knife.
Over the last month it's been the Spyderco Manix 2, G-10. S30V blade, wicked sharp and stays that way. Had to sand down the bottom gimping on the grip because it caused a really bad hot spot but other than that it's a real winner.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EDC pocket suspension clip David 9 5,511 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Last Post: David
  TRS 5N1 EDC Tactical Knife David 5 577 03-01-2019, 01:42 AM
  Knife making? ric0123 5 1,431 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Knife selection process bdcochran 5 1,781 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Pocket dump David 1 660 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  What do Spec Ops dudes carry every day? Every Day Carry (EDC) Pocket Dump David 6 1,506 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Cold Steel Rajah III, Small Knife with a Big Knife Feel. TN.Frank 2 800 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
  Long Term Carbon Steel knife storage Glockzilla10mm 5 2,520 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  New Knife video, Enjoy. TN.Frank 2 1,481 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  My top knife picks from 2016 TN.Frank 6 2,821 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Anomander Rake