Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real World Self Defense
Information 

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
This is pretty much how a civilian gunfight is going to be.
No tactical reloads, no racking your slide off your boot, no somersaults or backflips. It is going to be all about getting the gun out and shots on target as fast as possible.
I also shows that shoots from handguns don't make the bad guy fly backwards six feet into a stack of boxes or a window like the movies.  Very possible they don't even fall down but either run away or continue their actions.  That's where fast, accurate follow up shots come into play.

Pistol rounds are not traditionally instant fight stoppers, but hitting the target is key.
From the slow motion replay you can clearly see how he missed both guys at arms length at least once. I'm not sure the third shot hit even though the narrator thinks it did. The one handed shot as they took off was almost certainly a miss. There's a real chance that he only hit on that first unaimed shot after the draw. This goes to show how much stress can hamper accuracy unless you have built up the muscle memory required to do it without sights or thinking. Missing at contact distance is possible.

(12-09-2016, 01:38 AM)David Wrote: I also shows that shoots from handguns don't make the bad guy fly backwards six feet into a stack of boxes or a window like the movies.  Very possible they don't even fall down but either run away or continue their actions.  That's where fast, accurate follow up shots come into play.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my son when we were deer hunting.  He is a PA in a level one trauma surgery center. They get all the major trauma cases on the west side of Michigan.  He sees a good number of gun shot wounds (GSWs) and does a fair amount of surgeries on them. He sees a lot of pistol caliber wounds, but in the fall they get a good number of hunting accidents with rifles and shotguns.

Occasionally he sees some wounds from AKs and ARs.

One of the things he mentioned is that the number of small caliber pistol wounds have gone up. He says he can tell that .380s have become more popular because more people are being shot with them either accidentally or on purpose (including suicide attempts).  He also says that most people survive GSWs from .380s and smaller.  As a result of his experience he went from carrying a 9mm to a 40 (a XD40c)

Generally speaking this is what he told me

1. Bullets do weird things inside the body. When people get shot they contort and twist and the bullets follow strange paths along the way.

2. Handgun rounds in general are not very effective for stopping people . Nobody wants to get shot but if you are shot, hope its a .380 or smaller. He said he is surprised how many people walk into the hospital with small caliber GSWs and survive. Most people shot with larger calibers are carried in, if that tells you anything.

3. Rifle and shotgun wounds are usually pretty horrific and difficult to fix. Your chances of surviving are much smaller with a rifle or shotgun wound than with a pistol. Try not to get shot with them.

4. If you have to shoot someone to kill them try to shoot them with a rifle or shotgun (slugs or buck).

He told me a few stories about AK (762x39) and AR (223/5.56) wounds he's worked on.  He says FMJ out of those tend to go through and through unless they hit a bone and disrupt, then they make a mess. Soft point hunting bullets from 30-30s, 3006s 308s etc tend to blow large holes in people.
U.S. LAW SHIELD: TRAPPED IN A DEMONSTRATION? WHAT ARE YOUR SELF-DEFENSE OPTIONS?

The differences in the gas station attack and the gun shop attack are very interesting. The talk about pistols being ineffective is kind of negated when the victim goes from someone who is armed to someone who is armed and knows how to use his weapon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video .22 rifle for home defense? David 15 3,261 07-30-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
  Home Defense Thread David 16 2,587 07-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Non firearm defense bdcochran 3 994 03-25-2018, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Gene
  The Bible, guns and self defense. David 1 666 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Home Defense David 8 3,139 11-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: David