Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantity over Quality
One problem as I grow older is that one accumulates so much stuff over the years that logistics starts to become an issue.
There is simply no more room for it and no way to move it easily if you had to.

This has been put in perspective recently as we've been downsizing my parents from a house to an assisted living apartment after my dad's stroke last February.
Mac, you may want to consider bringing other people into your circle. If you have that much stored up, a few extra trusted people to share guard duty, farming, etc. would be a good trade off.
I want to bring this thread back. I've seen David mention recently that he is simplifying his guns again(we all know how long that will last ?), and someone mentioned that this is the time to stock up on ammo.

I recommend that everyone use this industry slump to stockpile ammo, mags, etc. Not only is it a great time to buy because everything is cheap, but also to help support the industry. Several small companies have already folded due to this sudden downturn and more will follow. Fewer choices and less competition doesn't help anyone.
Yep, time to buy. I have added some additional mags to my little pile and have purchased some additional ammo.
It's a problem... excess items.
But every few years , i go thru my items and do a good clean out. (like mentioned ) I do this after having to clean out my parents home after my Dad passed a number of years back.
Took me 3 -20yd dumpsters !

Don't want my kids to go thru what I had to do.

And, I do try to rotate my food and my ammo... maybe another good range week this spring ( still have a lot 30-06 from the 40s in cases in enbloc clips )
(01-25-2018, 07:20 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: I want to bring this thread back. I've seen David mention recently that he is simplifying his guns again(we all know how long that will last ?)...

Big Grin

This sort of thing is a journey.  And really one of the reasons this board exists is to see what others have done and how they thing about things.  Expands one's perspective.  Over this last year I've done a fair bit of horse trading.  And like I mentioned, I've done very well.  And I'm glad I got the experience with quite a few different types of firearms.  As an instructor that makes me more rounded.  

I've decided that overall, the primary platform will be Glock.  Not because I think Glock is better than the rest but because it is solid platform that I have the most experience with as well as magazines.  It made the most sense.  As mentioned, I still have the Rugers because I think they fit a niche that Glock doesn't.  

9mm is still the primary small arm ammunition but I'm glad that I've also a platform to use .40 S&W.  It provides options.  And I agree that this is a good time to stock up on ammunition.  One of the reasons I went ahead and got back into .40 S&W.  I think it has lost it's previous popularity due to unrealistic factors.  In my opinion the FBI is a good source of information on ballistics and such but perhaps not the best on which to base a trend.  Although the .40 S&W can rightly be labeled the 'answer to a question nobody asked' it has also demonstrated itself to be a viable service cartridge.  I think it's current loss of status will be reversed somewhere down the road.  I don't see it as falling off the map.  It was in too widespread use to just fall off the map.  

Feel pretty good about this last year in this area.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(01-26-2018, 03:31 AM)David Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 07:20 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: I want to bring this thread back. I've seen David mention recently that he is simplifying his guns again(we all know how long that will last ?)...

Big Grin

This sort of thing is a journey.  And really one of the reasons this board exists is to see what others have done and how they thing about things.  Expands one's perspective.  Over this last year I've done a fair bit of horse trading.  And like I mentioned, I've done very well.  And I'm glad I got the experience with quite a few different types of firearms.  As an instructor that makes me more rounded.  

I've decided that overall, the primary platform will be Glock.  Not because I think Glock is better than the rest but because it is solid platform that I have the most experience with as well as magazines.  It made the most sense.  As mentioned, I still have the Rugers because I think they fit a niche that Glock doesn't.  

9mm is still the primary small arm ammunition but I'm glad that I've also a platform to use .40 S&W.  It provides options.  And I agree that this is a good time to stock up on ammunition.  One of the reasons I went ahead and got back into .40 S&W.  I think it has lost it's previous popularity due to unrealistic factors.  In my opinion the FBI is a good source of information on ballistics and such but perhaps not the best on which to base a trend.  Although the .40 S&W can rightly be labeled the 'answer to a question nobody asked' it has also demonstrated itself to be a viable service cartridge.  I think it's current loss of status will be reversed somewhere down the road.  I don't see it as falling off the map.  It was in too widespread use to just fall off the map.  

Feel pretty good about this last year in this area.

Absolutely. We all will change our gear and thinking over time as we learn. I agree the the 40 will not disappear. It is way too popular to ever truly die. If niche cartridges like 10mm, 357Sig, and even the unloved 45GAP can hang on through decades of obscurity, the 40 will easily survive.

PS, not sure why my smiley face turns into a question mark. The remark about your constant swapping was supposed to be joking.
Yeah, I was thinking about the 10mm/.357sig/.45gap and such.  They have managed to hang on.  And too be honest, I'm kinda surprise .357sig didn't catch on more.  Just due to name recognition and the popularity of the .357 magnum.  But...a lot of folks just can't really handle the muzzle flip and still be accurate on follow up shots.  Still surprised though.  I still think ammo cost makes it prohibitive for most.  If it was the price of say .40 then I think a lot more folks would be interested in it.  I really think they've priced themselves out of market share on this one.  They (ammo and gun companies) price something stupidly high and then wonder why it doesn't catch on.  .45gap is in the same boat but in a different way; availability.  I've 'seen' it at Walmart but couldn't tell you the last time I actually saw it there.  We've talked about the gap and it was actually a pretty good idea.  Larger bullet in a smaller platform.  That's a winner.  And I think if you could simply pop down the Wallyworld and grab a box or two on a regular basis at a reasonable price then it would be more popular.  10MM I see more as a woods caliber than SD.  Oh, and going back to the .357sig, again I just can't remember when I've actually seen it at WM.  I have seen it there but it's so rare as to really be a non-issue.  May be different at other WM's in other states perhaps?  I just don't see it that often and on the rare time I do it's about 3X the price of 9mm.

Especially now that ammo and gun prices are going so low it would make sense to try to shove as much .357sig and .45gap on the market as possible at a competitive price.  Lots of new first time gun owners.  

"I'd like a .45 but look at the size and thickness of the gun...I'd never carry that.  Oh, wait...this one's a .45 too but look how much smaller and thinner it is!"

"I read the .357 was great round...I wonder if they have that in a semi-auto...Oh, wait...they have a high capacity one right there next to that wimpy 9mm!"

I'd guess that just because the 9mm is the flavor of the day, doesn't mean 40 will fade away. Someone will come up with a new round or gun in 40 which will rekindle interest in it. Things like this are always cyclical.
Down the road when the FBI decides the 9mm isn't sufficient the only question will be what they go to.  Will it be back to the .40S&W or possibly the .45acp?  Or will it be something totally unexpected?  

Then of course folks will be dumping their 9mm's in droves.  

I can't wait  Big Grin