Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your EDC pocket knife?
I keep going back to my Benchmade auto.
Just picked up a Cold Steel Voyager large clip point that I'm going to start packin'. Of course I also have my Kershaw Cinder on my keychain and my Swiss Army Knife plus a Opinel No8 that I also just picked up to add to my EDC carry so I've got 4 blades to choose from on a daily basis.
(04-25-2017, 05:52 AM)TN.Frank Wrote: Just picked up a Cold Steel Voyager large clip point that I'm going to start packin'.  Of course I also have my Kershaw Cinder on my keychain and my Swiss Army Knife plus a Opinel No8 that I also just picked up to add to my EDC carry so I've got 4 blades to choose from on a daily basis.

Hard to go wrong with Cold Steel.  I wish I still had my Trailmaster Bowie and SRK knives.  Never should have sold those  Sad
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I had an SRK back when they didn't cost that much. Yep, that was a pretty good fixed blade knife.
I read about edc knives - and then how people sold them off. So, here are some comments about an edc knife that: 1. is not flashy; 2. is not used in combat (especially when a person has had no training in how to use a knife or in situational awareness); 3. not of a special steel; 4. doesn't have bragging rights; 5. is an item that you will keep forever. It is the old fashioned two or three blade folding knife probably made by Taylor Brands (a US company) under one of the many "names" that Taylor has bought over the years. You recognize "Schrade", "Imperial", well those are just two of the brands. Even in today's politically correct world, you can buy one of these knives in the local hardware store (and most probably not in the big box store).

If your knife is too big, you don't carry it. If your knife is too expensive, the same, you don't carry it. If the knife is too valuable, it is unlikely to be in the pants or jacket pocket when you want to cut open a package.

My dad had a few jack knives and folders as I describe. He never sold them off or purchased "new and improved". The knives worked for him for well over 85 years. They work for me as well.
BDCochcran I would agree. Knives that are too expensive or big tend to get left at home.

For years I've gifted Swiss Army Tinker knives to friends and family to encourage daily carry. At less than $20 a copy the investment is small and based on feedback/observation more than 50% of those knives get carried and used. That is heartening to me to convert those who formerly viewed knives as weapons to folks who now realize the value of an easily transportable and useful tool.

Just yesterday, our annual work party at one of the ranges I belong to I was struck by the amazement of the 4H kiddlets when I withdrew my knife to scribe a line across a 2x6 to mark the cut I was about to make for a target stand. They were far more intrigued by the knife than the Skilsaw I cut the boards with. It saddened me that these great kids found it so unusual for a knife to come out of a pocket and be deployed in a useful and practical manner. Each time it came out - sharpening a pencil, cutting rope, marking a line, opening a box, shaving an edge for a perfect fit... all I saw was saucer sized eyes. In just two generations, a cultural change. NONE of these early to mid-teen youngsters could produce a knife when asked.
Love the SAK Tinker!  Been carrying the same one now for, well let's see...maybe 24 years give or take.  On my EDC 'survival' key chain (which is separate from my car key) and holds the Thrunite TiS LED AAA flashlight, ferro rod, peanut lighter and pocket clip.  Got one for my son and now he has a similar EDC keychain.  

Not exactly an EDC pocket knife, but you've got to give props to the Mora knives.  Stupid inexpensive and scary sharp out of the box.  And they are able to stand up to a lion's share of tasks when used correctly.  

I have been carrying an Ontario RAT2 the past week. Light and sharp. I'm getting used to the liner lock, but my only complaint, and it's just cosmetic, is that the blade is not centered.

Edit: just got my g733 in, all the way from China!
[Image: Yg2xwtY.jpg]
(04-16-2017, 04:54 PM)David Wrote: I've got the Voyager Tanto in the EDC bag now as a back up.  I've switched to the Spyderco Byrd Hawkbill.

[Image: SP-BY22SBK.jpg]

The only think I don't like is the metal clip.  Couple of times it's caught on stuff and I've had to bend it back into shape which requires taking it off to do right.  The plastic clip on the Endura that is part of the handle never caught on anything in the more than 20 years I carried it.  But overall I like this knife and it's shape.

Caught it again!  Haven't bothered bending it back yet.  I'm going to go with the Cold Steel Voyager Tanto for now and see how it goes.  I really liked that Hawkbill but it's a pain when it snags.

Just an FYI: If you are like me you have a well used ceramic coffee cup that you use every day. While you are waiting for the coffee to brew or the Keurig to warm up flip your coffee mug over and use the bottom to sharpen your knife. You only have to hit it a couple of times if you do this every day but you will always have a razor sharp knife. The ultimate ceramic sharpener.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EDC pocket suspension clip David 9 5,433 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Last Post: David
  TRS 5N1 EDC Tactical Knife David 5 509 03-01-2019, 01:42 AM
  Knife making? ric0123 5 1,397 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Knife selection process bdcochran 5 1,738 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Pocket dump David 1 633 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  What do Spec Ops dudes carry every day? Every Day Carry (EDC) Pocket Dump David 6 1,442 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Cold Steel Rajah III, Small Knife with a Big Knife Feel. TN.Frank 2 770 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
  Long Term Carbon Steel knife storage Glockzilla10mm 5 2,474 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  New Knife video, Enjoy. TN.Frank 2 1,458 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  My top knife picks from 2016 TN.Frank 6 2,788 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Anomander Rake