Survival & Emergency Preparedness Board
Roof - Printable Version

+- Survival & Emergency Preparedness Board (http://sepboard.us)
+-- Forum: Specific (http://sepboard.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Shelter (http://sepboard.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Roof (/showthread.php?tid=1815)

Roof - David - 06-14-2019

On your main home, what kind of roof do you have?  How old? 

We had our roof replaced about 3 years ago give-or-take.  Three dimensional shingles with a secondary barrier.  Pretty much a lifetime shingle.  The secondary barrier is in the advent of wind damage to the roof during a storm to keep water out.  Our roofs in Florida get beat on pretty hard by the sun of course.  We all have ridge vents to help rid the attic of heat.  The attic still gets blazing hot but it does help a bit.

RE: Roof - bmyers - 06-14-2019

Had my roof replaced last year. Insurance was kind enough to pay for it after we suffered hail damage and had some shingles blown off.

RE: Roof - David - 06-15-2019

(06-14-2019, 11:09 AM)bmyers Wrote: Had my roof replaced last year. Insurance was kind enough to pay for it after we suffered hail damage and had some shingles blown off.

Same happened to us, except we didn't lose shingles.  My wife and I were walking the neighborhood and bumped into a neighbor.  We started chatting and mentioned all the folks in the sub-division that were getting new roofs, like 90%.  We figured because the homes in this part of the sub-division were now 20+ years old (at that time) and that we were going to save up and do the same.  The neighbor, who had already did her roof told us that the hail storm we had had a few months earlier had damaged the roofs in the area and that the insurance covered it.  Long story short, we contacted our insurance company and within a month or so had a new roof with no out-of-pocket expenses.

RE: Roof - Gene - 06-16-2019

We have the metal roof, installed 8 years ago, sounds real cool when it hails...

RE: Roof - bmyers - 06-16-2019

(06-15-2019, 04:52 PM)David Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:09 AM)bmyers Wrote: Had my roof replaced last year. Insurance was kind enough to pay for it after we suffered hail damage and had some shingles blown off.

Same happened to us, except we didn't lose shingles.  My wife and I were walking the neighborhood and bumped into a neighbor.  We started chatting and mentioned all the folks in the sub-division that were getting new roofs, like 90%.  We figured because the homes in this part of the sub-division were now 20+ years old (at that time) and that we were going to save up and do the same.  The neighbor, who had already did her roof told us that the hail storm we had had a few months earlier had damaged the roofs in the area and that the insurance covered it.  Long story short, we contacted our insurance company and within a month or so had a new roof with no out-of-pocket expenses.

It is nice when you can get someone else to pay for repairs.

RE: Roof - Bob - 06-17-2019

I'm not sure - but I know it was upgraded to new wind standards before we bought it.

regardless - a good tarp, nails, duct tape, and plastic sheet should be in everyone's preps!

RE: Roof - bdcochran - 06-18-2019

The building and safety code requires a fire retardant roof. I replaced my shake shingle roof during the Great Recession and was the only customer in that month for a 70 year old roofing company. So, I received a great price.

I had my handyman put a fire suppression system on the roofline of the garage and the house. Manually operated. I describe.

Inverted metal sprinkler system which relies upon there being city water pressure if there is a fire. Fortunately, the neighbors on all sides of me replaced their roofs as well over the last couple of years.