Survival & Emergency Preparedness Board
Secondary firearm - Printable Version

+- Survival & Emergency Preparedness Board (http://sepboard.us)
+-- Forum: Specific (http://sepboard.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Defense (http://sepboard.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Secondary firearm (/showthread.php?tid=1394)

Secondary firearm - David - 05-17-2018

We've talked about what we carry, spare mags, trunk guns and such.  Does anyone ever consider carrying a BUG?  The old saying is that the quickest reload is a second gun.  Now that's debatable I suppose but I started thinking about that Maxpedition Lunada sling bag I EDC.  The Lunada/Remora and sling bags like it are specifically designed to carry a concealed firearm in that back pocket.  In fact, the Lunada has two spots where a concealed firearm could be carried.  I haven't, but thought for certain circumstances it would make a handy option.

I like to follow Patriot Nurse on YT as she has a lot of excellent videos.  In one video she is demonstrating a specific belly band designed for women.  In it she is carrying both a G26 and a G43 which she says is her routine EDC carry.  Her reason is that she does suffer from some neurological and sprinting away from danger may not be an issue depending on her current condition.  So she feels more comfortable having two firearms available if the need arises.  Okay, I can see her justification.  Certain scenarios/situations may lend towards having additional firearms.  One of the reasons for that long running trunk gun thread.

I could see for a trip out of town maybe tossing a BUG in the EDC sling bag.  Anyone else carry a BUG daily or from time to time?  What's your reasoning either way?

RE: Secondary firearm - Ronin.45 - 05-17-2018

I've voiced my opinion on carrying spare mags before and I double down on that about backup guns. I balance my defensive carry with reality. The odds of needing your gun are already slim, firing it even slimmer, a reload much slimmer, and a second gun so slim as to be a non-issue. If you don't temper your loadout with reality you'll end up carrying a full-size combat gun with two extra mags, a backup with reloads, a J-frame on your ankle, a tactical knife in every pocket, a tourniquet, a blowout kit, zip ties for handcuffs, pepper spray, two flashlights with extra batteries, a fire extinguisher, a rape whistle, and a George Foreman Grill.

RE: Secondary firearm - David - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 02:26 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: If you don't temper your loadout with reality you'll end up carrying a full-size combat gun with two extra mags, a backup with reloads, a J-frame on your ankle, a tactical knife in every pocket, a tourniquet, a blowout kit, zip ties for handcuffs, pepper spray, two flashlights with extra batteries, a fire extinguisher, a rape whistle, and a George Foreman Grill.

Hey, hey, hey...don't dis the multi flashlight carrying  Big Grin

RE: Secondary firearm - Ronin.45 - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 03:59 PM)David Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 02:26 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: If you don't temper your loadout with reality you'll end up carrying a full-size combat gun with two extra mags, a backup with reloads, a J-frame on your ankle, a tactical knife in every pocket, a tourniquet, a blowout kit, zip ties for handcuffs, pepper spray, two flashlights with extra batteries, a fire extinguisher, a rape whistle, and a George Foreman Grill.

Hey, hey, hey...don't dis the multi flashlight carrying  Big Grin

I've been known to carry a pocket light and a keychain light myself, but the point stands. Big Grin

RE: Secondary firearm - bmyers - 05-17-2018

No BUG for me. If we are going out of town, then we will toss an extra G19 in the vehicle safe, but other than that, no BUG.

Rhonda carried 5 pistols once, just to prove to everyone she could and no one would know, but we usually just have one gun on us each.

RE: Secondary firearm - David - 05-17-2018

I think it would be logical to EDC my G26 and toss the G43 in the concealed pocket of the sling bag if I were going out of town/traveling.  Not going to take up much space since I currently don't use that pocket for anything else and figure why leave it at home?  Sure, it would add a tad over a pound to the sling bag, but it isn't like it's a BOB or anything.

RE: Secondary firearm - mac66 - 05-17-2018

No BUG for me either. Always when I was a cop but rarely if ever off duty and never as a regular guy.

RE: Secondary firearm - Ronin.45 - 05-18-2018

(05-17-2018, 06:59 PM)David Wrote: I think it would be logical to EDC my G26 and toss the G43 in the concealed pocket of the sling bag if I were going out of town/traveling.  Not going to take up much space since I currently don't use that pocket for anything else and figure why leave it at home?  Sure, it would add a tad over a pound to the sling bag, but it isn't like it's a BOB or anything.

On road trips I use a sling bag as well. Not for a secondary, but my primary, and that usually gets upgraded to a fullsize G17 or G21. The bag also holds everything I might need on the trip. Flashlights, glasses, wallet, etc. It's super convenient to have the bag sitting within reach on the passenger seat and just sling up during stops. This allows me to wear gym shorts and a hoodie for maximum comfort on a long trip but still be prepared when I need gas at 2am.