Survival & Emergency Preparedness Board
Another outbreak - Printable Version

+- Survival & Emergency Preparedness Board (http://sepboard.us)
+-- Forum: General (http://sepboard.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://sepboard.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Another outbreak (/showthread.php?tid=1393)

Another outbreak - bmyers - 05-17-2018

It seems like the outbreaks of Ebola are becoming more common. Then again, it could be that the media is just covering it more.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44150762

The Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has spread from the countryside into a city, prompting fears that the disease will be increasingly hard to control.
Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga confirmed a case in Mbandaka, a city of a million people about 130km (80 miles) from the area where the first cases were confirmed earlier this month.
The city is a major transportation hub with routes to the capital Kinshasa.
Forty-two people have now been infected and 23 people are known to have died.
Ebola is a serious infectious illness that causes internal bleeding and often proves fatal. It can spread rapidly through contact with small amounts of bodily fluid and its early flu-like symptoms are not always obvious.

Why is the spread to a city such a worry?

The 2014-16 West Africa outbreak, which killed 11,300 people, was particularly deadly because it spread to the capital cities of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Senior World Health Organization (WHO) official Peter Salama said the spread to Mbandaka meant there was the potential for an "explosive increase" in cases.
"This is a major development in the outbreak," he told the BBC. "We have urban Ebola, which is a very different animal from rural Ebola. The potential for an explosive increase in cases is now there."

RE: Another outbreak - David - 05-17-2018

Things like this are always a concern with how rapidly a person can travel from one side of the globe to the other.  Particularly via plane where they are in close proximity to other people who then become carriers themselves as they travel on to their own destinations.  

Easy to see how quickly things of this nature can spread.

RE: Another outbreak - David - 05-17-2018

RE: Another outbreak - Tsquare - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 01:00 PM)David Wrote: Things like this are always a concern with how rapidly a person can travel from one side of the globe to the other.  Particularly via plane where they are in close proximity to other people who then become carriers themselves as they travel on to their own destinations.  

Easy to see how quickly things of this nature can spread.

And where do they send them? The CDC in Atlanta.

RE: Another outbreak - Bob - 05-26-2018

Partriot Nurse nails it at ~53 seconds - and it represents a classic prepper misguided thought process. we spend way too much time worrying about things you honestly don't need to know about, let alone "prepare" for. Ebola is one of those things.

It is NOT easy to get Ebola. I used to work for the Department of Health and did disaster prep and all sorts of things on Pandemic Avian Flu, etc...Ebola is a Non-issue.

The other comment I will tell you about Bio-preparedness, that from my side of the fence and was also confirmed by a very good friend of mine in the Marines who had a lot more knowledge about this stuff than he was willing/allowed to talk about.

Bio-chem protective gear is NOT easy stuff to use, let alone use properly, and I'm not even talking effectively. As my friend said - "Units that are dedicated to working in those environments expect a 50% fatality rate. They have the best money equipment can buy, train constantly, and have direct access to experts. How well do you think you'll do with whatever is public available on your own.

Best Prep PERIOD: Sufficient water, food, meds to sty indoors. Going outside and messing around in environments where that stuff is an issue is a great way to get you, or your loved ones sick/dead.

You'll notice she spent the majority of time talking about eating right and basic hygiene. Good advice all year round!

RE: Another outbreak - David - 05-27-2018

In regards to the bio-chemical preparedness, I have to agree.  I trained in it extensively in the military because of where I was stationed overseas.  Full chem suit, timed responses, decontamination drills etc.  The whole 9-yards.  It is labor intensive and not easily repeatable in 'real' normal civilian life.  You'd have to have a whole section of preps dedicated specifically to this well beyond masks and such.  And it would have to be repeatable.  And even then it will not be a certainty of continued success.  Plus you'd have to be able to operate in said equipment in said environment which means you'd have to actually be training as such.  

Just things to consider.  Better to stay out of potential threat areas altogether if possible.